Friday, February 5, 2010

Can I bring my pet chipmunk that I bought in Spain back to America?

I just bought a chipmunk as a pet and he is a great little guy, but I am only going to be living in Spain for two more years. Is there anyway for me to bring him to the states?Can I bring my pet chipmunk that I bought in Spain back to America?
Hi there...you should be able to import your pet chipmunk into the USA, however the following CDC, UDSA/APHIS guidelines demonstrates how to safely import pets back into the USA. Airlines also have their very own restrictions that are required so be sure to check very far in advance with the air carrier you will be flying on to meet with their requirements as well, which is a health certificate issued and signed by a licenced veterinarian and not before 30 days of your departure as well as vaccinations requirements.








USDA/APHIS:


http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/ncie/pet-in鈥?/a>





OTHER





APHIS does not have animal health requirements for the importation of fish, reptiles, lions, tigers, bears, mink, rabbits, sugar gliders, foxes, monkeys, endangered species, guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, mice, rats, chinchillas, squirrels, mongoose, chimpmunks, ferrets, or other rodents provided they have not been inoculated with any pathogens for scientific purposes. If the latter is the case, they require an import permit (VS Form17-129) and can only be released to an approved laboratory.





CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/animal.htmCan I bring my pet chipmunk that I bought in Spain back to America?
im not sure, you will need to contact DEFRA to check this out but something tells me its going to be really expensive. cant you just buy one in the uk from a very good dealer/breeder?
No problem! Marinate him in a nice dry rub and consume when he is medium-rare. If you do this just before your flight home, he should be ready to hit U.S. soil when you touch down!
You will have to go through the Spanish/American embassy. They can tell you what you have to do in order to bring it back to the states. All I can tell you is it may have to have certain types of vaccinations and be quarentined (for how long, I don't know the specifics).
I know to take a pet from state to state he has to be up on all shots and have a note from a vet stating that he is up on all shots and meds.. so I would think the only way to get him out of one country in to another country is to have him taken to a vet, and have him checked for illnesses and see what shots can be given to him to keep him healthy.. that would be my guess.. good luck..
try either of the following two US Customs sites for a start
check with the embassy, you would most likely violate qurantine laws. RE: RABIES%26lt;foot %26amp; mouth disease, list is endless!
First make sure it is ok to bring that type animal to the USA. Then check the quaranteen time. You should have time to have it all figured out conveniently so you can do right by all concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment