Friday, February 5, 2010

I found a non-moving but ostensibly alive chipmunk in my driveway. What should I do?

The chipmunk's breathing and there's no blood/visible wounds. However, he justs sits there. I was afraid my cat would get him and he looked a little sick so I picked him up (using thick gloves) and put him in a little enclosure so nothing could eat him.





So, my question is, is he stunned or what? How long will this last? What should I do?I found a non-moving but ostensibly alive chipmunk in my driveway. What should I do?
He may be stunned.Put a little bit of sugar water in his mouth (cup of water,tablespoon of sugar,heat until sugar is disolved) ,using an eyedropper,and wearing the gloves ( they can bite,but they don't carry rabies.) Then leave it alone for a while,like you're doing.You might put a handful of birdseed in there for it to eat should it perk up.If it isn't any better in a day,call your local Division if Wildlife ( although I doubt they will do much for a chipmunk ,as there are so many of them.) I don't know what else to tell you,but good luck,and nice of you to care for the little thing.I found a non-moving but ostensibly alive chipmunk in my driveway. What should I do?
I hear that chipmunks will play ';possum';. If they do it as well as possums, which I've seen, it can be very convincing.





Put him in a safe place, safe from cats and dogs, where he can sneak off after an hour or so when no one is looking. Then, leave him alone, so he can become confinced that there is nothing dangerous around. Leave a little water where he can get to it.





If he doesn't sneak off after a few hours, then he may really be injured.
Take him to a vet! They prolly wont charge you and just be an animal-life-rescue thing.


He must either be really sick or VERY shocked in order to ignore his basic instict to survive (aka run away from YOU).


I used to take birds with broken wings to a local animal hospital all the time and they'd usually help it.
could have been hit by a car and is paralized or zapped by power line. Call your local animal control or police as it may have rabbes they will pick it up and humanly put it to sleep.
I recommend calling animal control. The chipmunk could potentially be carrying rabies. So if your cat gets to him, your cat could contract rabies. Good luck!
I think your cat got him and shook him until his spine broke. Cats play with their prey.





My cat did that to a chipmunk, and two baby rabbits. There was never any blood and no visible wounds.
First off, you need to take him to the vet and if everything checks out OK then you should knit him a little red shirt to wear and make him sing Christmas carols.
he is probably stunned. This could last for a while so try to keep hime comfortable with food and water. If his condition doesn't change, take him to a shelter for wild animals
call the cops...they usually will send someone out to take it to animal control or something...or if it looks better soon just let it go.
Um... I suggest you call the humane society, because the sqirrel was probably stunned because he got hit by a car or something along those lines.........
Take it to one of those adoption clinic for pets.. I mean honestly if they love animals the way they say: they will check what's wrong and help...
kill it, probably in pain, just kill it.
call animal control
Know anyone with a pet snake?

No comments:

Post a Comment